Wednesday 8 August 2007

Rant. Pure, unfettered rant.

There, warned you. I've been in the most appalling mood for the past few days, inspired almost entirely by the people around me and their complete inability to follow instructions. Let me paint you a picture of recent times, starting with a mid-point presentation to the client at the end of last week.

All the way through this project, I've been clear to the creative team what the priorities are from the client's point of view, and how the fact that we've understood what these priorities are is crucial to maintaining our credibility. Despite this fact, two key points were missed off the presentation. I mean, so key that the client had to spend about an hour going over them again, pointedly looking at me with a sort of 'are you some kind of idiot' look on his face.

Coming out of the presentation, I mildly voiced my concerns to the group, and we settled on redesigning the whole thing the following day. That was actually quite productive, and I thought we were getting somewhere. We did, to an extent. The plan was to re-present to the client (who's on holiday - we presented over the internet) today, with more fully formed designs and technical solution.

Everything turned out well, except for the fact that we presented a homepage design without any advertising, one of the key points missed off the first session. Cue me going very red-faced and coming up with a number of excuses and again, looking like a bit of a fool.

So, whilst we're more or less back on track and I'm reasonably sure of getting this all sorted by the end of next week, I'm not exactly loving some of my colleagues right now. Stuff like that, by which I mean blatantly not listening to briefs and following one's own agenda, really doesn't help speed things along. It doesn't help that my 30th birthday falls right in the middle of it all, and I don't think I'll be able to properly relax with all this going on, in fact I know I won't be able to.

Still, all good experience I guess. Off to Dublin again tomorrow, thankfully just for a day trip, back there again next week for a couple of days. Can't decide if I want to stay on this project after this phase... jury's out on that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why not...