Monday 27 August 2007

Are we there yet?

For those of you not in the UK, today is a bank holiday, and what I'm doing instead of feeding my beer baby in the pub is sortofworking. I've had to invent a new word for it, because it's not really working, but I am actually doing constructive professional things in between doing this damn thing that Kathryn posted on her blog and has been intermittently occupying my time all morning. I've also been listening to more Pet Shop Boys than is probably healthy, but I'm in a sunny sort of disco mood and have had Se A Vida E going through my head since I woke up, so there you go.

However, apart from doing my expenses form (yay!) and fiddling around on Facebook (damn you facebook), I have actually been working this morning, and the main reason for this is that the Dublin project appears to have slipped another week, sort of. I have found this in the past though - instead of everything being delivered with a triumphant flourish on the due date, it all sort of trickles in over a period of several weeks. This is feeling like the last week of it all though - we've got a fair idea what we're building and how long it'll take, so work could conceivably begin next week.

I'll be involved then, although the build is taking place in the UK, so the visits to Dublin and their accompanying 0430 wake up calls will be less frequent, fortunately. I'm also going to miss the first week of the project because I'll be in Corsica working on my ability to do nothing for hours at a time (which I got quite good at in Sardinia last year). That's ok, as as far as I can see, week one will be all about working out who's sitting where and all the techies making sure their development environment is all working and so on. Nothing I really need to be involved in, I don't think.

One thing I will have to do before hols is give a wine tasting to my colleagues. 30 of them have responded to an invite to one on Thursday evening - normally 10 is a challenge to keep under control, so this could be something of a challenge, but I'm looking forwards to it. Will be a nice way to end the week - although it could make packing on Friday morning something of a challenge.

So, holiday then! Off on Friday, two nights in Nice (must... make... joke...), a week in Corsica and then one night in Cannes on the way back. Well, it's not really on the way back, but it's in the area and the Kiwi's never been. Personally I thought it was pretty dull, but it's a bit iconic I suppose and the train ride down the coast past Antibes is really lovely. Good cocktails at the hotel bars on the Croisette, too...

I can't bloody wait, to be honest. Apart from anything else, I've forsaken beer for the past month or so in an effort to be able to see my toes again, and I'm so looking forwards to that first cold one by the sea. That said, I've noticed a real improvement - I've cut out beer and almost entirely cut out bread lately. I've not really been exercising all that much more, but I'm visibly trimmer, so that's my top dieting tip - drink less beer.

I'm sure there'll be photos and all when we get back, but for now you'll have to make do with one of a pile of unnaturally shiny apples on reception at last week's hotel. They were definitely real: I think they'd been polished.

No comments: