Wednesday 13 June 2007

Coming out

So having recently left the entertainment business, I recently bought the first two CDs I've bought in around two years. An odd experience, and to be honest one which compounded my lack of faith in digital music as a mass format. I use iTunes and WMP as my media players, and have a Creative Zen as a portable player. At some point in the future I might consider going back to an iPod, so I need my music library as MP3s. Which means buying CDs, unless I'm after something that happens to be available as such, which is relatively unlikely. I don't steal music, so CDs are my only option.

Anyway, I'm skirting the point. The confessional nature of this post is brought on by the realisation that something I've always suspected about myself needs to come out. I need to come out of the closet as a bit of a country music fan. One of the CDs which arrived last night was an earlier album from the lovely Neko Case, whose 'Fox Confessor Brings The Flood' is one of my all time faves. That particular album is, as they say, 'a little bit country, a little bit rock 'n' roll', but this one, 'The Virginian' is proper a-wailin' and a-toe-kickin' Dolly Parton / Carlene Carter COUNTRY music. And I rather like it.

Well that was a surprise. I might go out and buy a rhinestone jacket or something, not really sure where this leaves me.

FYI - the other CD was Jenny Wilson's 'Love and Youth', which I've not really listened to yet, but bought on the strength of 'Let My Shoes Lead Me Forward', off the latest Modular 'Leave Them All Behind' mix. And also, can't help but mention this, I'm not that far from the entertainment industry that I can't get into the premiere of the new Fantastic Four film last night, and the aftershow to boot. Celeb-tastic... although it has brought me a bit more into the size zero debate as Oh My God they're all practically emaciated and frankly that's not attractive. I'm talking to you Jessica Alba: eat more pies.

... and now to work. It's actually 0704; the clock on this blog seems to be out. More later...

No comments: