Tuesday 6 November 2007

How crap are BA air miles?

I prefer not to use my blog for stuff like this but I can't hold this one in. Ok here we go. Why do you join a frequent flyer program? No, it's not for the free flights, because you rarely earn enough points to actually get one. You join these schemes because, after saving a few points, you get to go in the airport lounges, so that instead of spending the 45 minutes you invariably have to wait for your flight in a comfy chair instead of on a bench.

Now, recently the Kiwi and I booked a hire car (as regular readers will know). We booked this specific one because it got me 500 extra BA points. Woo. Looking at my balance, I should be nearly a Silver member by now, and I can almost taste the lounge.

However, these (plus the ones I've got from recent flights) are ornery air miles. They (if I save until I'm 50 I might get a free ride between terminals at Gatwick) don't affect my VIP level. You can only get these 'special' points by flying on very specific flights, which of course BA won't tell you about.

What a monumental pile of arse. Here's hoping my Aer Lingus points don't have the same effect. Pier B at Dublin airport is no place for a sane person to spend any time at all.

1 comment:

londonmilk said...

Ah, but what a nice ride it is between the two terminals at Gatwick. Worth all your pointless points.

Sean's a silver card member, and I must say that it's got its advantages (nice no-queue checking, nice lounge, nice croissants, nice... well, you get the picture). Still, there's one thing that it doesn't give you... BA onboard staff that aren't so far up their own backside they come out three times over!