Thursday 1 November 2007

Back in Dublin

It's been a while since I was over here for more than a day trip, so it's weird to be away from my Kiwi again. This is slightly different though; we're running a workshop for a prospective client over here (all five hours of it) which isn't exactly a pitch but there are undertones of sales-y-ness there. It should be interesting.

The important thing, though, is the hotel. We're staying in a much nicer place this time, all old-school opulence and marble everywhere. The thing I think I like the most so far (having just checked in) is the quiet efficiency of the staff - me trying to check in with a Maestro card usually causes some fuss as they can't pre-authorise it, but here it was dealt with simply and smoothly. And they had chocolate brownies on reception.

So far, so good. Whether this means I'll be over here more in the future (on two Irish projects) remains to be seen.

Interesting thing just happened though. Last week, the head of my team mentioned that there would be a bit of a reshuffle within the team, and that I'd been put forward for one of the more interesting and high profile roles within the new structure. Excellent. This forms part of the proposals all the dept heads are putting together for their own bits of the business next year.

Today though, I've been told that there's a new part of the business being created, and that I've been earmarked to be part of that team. Controversial. So there's a decision to be made fairly soonish. Politics to consider. I think it's going to come down to 60% what do I really want to do and which route would get me there quickest, and 40% who do I want to piss off the least.

An interesting challenge. Fortunately I have a little time to consider my future. Watch this space.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such challenges along the way young man hope they go your way..enjoy Dublin once again. Trust my little kiwi has managed to retrieve all from the neighbours unless they have had a garage sale.. Cheers