Monday 9 March 2009

Question for you all

Although I'll not be actually doing this until I start earning, I have time to think about it now and so I could do with some help from all you internet people. I currently don't have a satisfactory way of playing audio and video media in our house. Right now, I play music by plugging either my laptop or my iPod into the speakers I sometimes use to amplify the TV. Video I play by connecting the laptop to the TV using a VGA cable - the audio goes through the same speakers.

Problems:

- it's not instantaneous - there's plugging in of things to be done before it goes
- I prefer using my laptop to play music from, as I can use my iPod Touch to remotely control iTunes, but
- I can't use my laptop on the sofa whilst this is going on as it needs to be within VGA cable reach of the TV
- the external speakers don't have a remote (although we will be getting a Viera home cinema system at some point which should solve this to an extent)

So, basically, whilst sitting on our sofa (3.5m from the TV screen), I want to be able to browse a library of audio & video files, and control playback, with the audio and video playback going through the TV (album art would be nice alongside audio). I'll want to be able to add to my libraries through this interface, so a browser at least, and a few toys like Spotify and Last.FM will be needed. At some point in the near future, I'll want to use something like Boxee to access online content as well. The TV is full-HD, and it would be good to make use of that if possible. Note that the home cinema addition will take up one of the two HDMI ports.

I also want nothing to do with Apple hardware (other than the iPod), as it's ruinously expensive over here.

The next step will be setting up speakers in another part of the house, and playing the same audio library through there - I suspect that an Apple AirPort or similar might do the trick here, but that bridge we can cross when we come to it. Got all that?

At the moment it's sounding very much like a small PC tower with a ton of storage space, running Windows (preferably XP or maybe 7), and using the TV as the (primary or secondary) monitor with an HDMI connection. Problems there are that iTunes is rubbish at video playback, and although the DivX player has been working well for me of late, there's no iTouch remote for it. Secondly I'd have to get a wireless (bluetooth, probably) mouse & keyboard for it too, not much of a hassle but still more crap to have lying around the living room.

Years ago, I remember conversations around the critical points of convergence being mobile/media player/online-enabled device, and office/living room. The former we can now see in multiple guises - until I have a satisfactory, cost-effective way to fulfil the above requirements, I don't think we can quite say we've got there just yet.

Answers, suggestions in the comments, or email me directly. This should be fun...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
Quick reply, hopefully more later.

The setup I use at home is uber-simple, and only possible because the PC and the TV are relatively close together. The PC desktop is extended onto the TV and when I'm watching video or visualising audio, I tell the software to output the display to the secondary monitor. Simple as that.

You're heading where I want to go too, ie. full-on HTPC (home theatre pc) These setups range from the oh-so-simple to the ludicrously complex. Do some googling on HTPC.

If you eventually want 'whole house audio' then you want software that can handle zones. Zones allow you to listen to audio in one part of the house, watch video in another, and view pictures in another, all from the same backend software.

The software I use is jrmediacenter. v13 @ $40 is currently under developement and this time around, they are focussing heavily on the 10' interface. The idea is to aim for 'WAF' (wife acceptance factor) You should be able to install and setup the software, she should be able to pick up a microsoft MCE remote and using the four direction keys + the OK key be able to play music, pick a film, read a news feed, browse photos etc. get the idea?

Perhaps a journey we could go on together, though I'm a little financially embarassed atm ;)

-mark

thiswasme said...

Thanks Mark - I'll look up HTPC and jsmediacentre. Love the WAF concept, very appropriate! I notice that Boxee has something similar in its interface too, downloaded the Windows beta yesterday and it seems to be geared up for some sort of remote or pointing device (as well as keys).

Financial embarrassment is my life at the moment, so let's keep in touch on the subject and see what we can develop!