Tuesday 12 February 2008

Can't work this out

This morning a friend of mine called me to tell me that a guy who I've known since I was 11 died this morning. He'd developed a chest infection which had grown more and more serious, and died in hospital, apparently alone, in the early hours of the morning.

Although we weren't as close recently as we were as teenagers, we spoke every time I went back up north, and still got on as well as ever. I looked up to him when I was younger and still do - a brilliant musician with a wicked sense of humour, one of the most fun people I knew throughout school and beyond.

I'm writing this because I can't figure out how to deal with it. Work today was impossible - everything seems trivial by comparison. It still hasn't sunk in; I don't know that it ever will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan life sometimes deals us all kinds of tragedies and joys which we deal with all in our own good time - I am a true believer that only time heals everything but only when we are ready. This is your time now to reflect and try to put things in prospective however hard it may seem - and remember you are both more special for knowing each other. Take care -Keep safe - Enjoy Lifes unknown. Cheers Carol.