Sunday 20 January 2008

Career chess

What a perfect arse of a week. My masterplan was almost derailed, but I managed to get it put back a few weeks instead. What happened was fairly typical, in that having proposed a way of getting me off the Irish project, things dragged on a bit, I found a new project for me and a replacement for me on the old one, job done, let's hand over next week. The new project was due to start on the 28th Feb.

So far, so good. Next thing, the project manager on the Irish project drops something of a spanner into things by (and bearing in mind he's already effectively agreed to this to our superiors) deciding that not only is the replacement not up to scratch, but I shouldn't be allowed to move off the Irish project.

Still with me?

So, after months of trying to create advance awareness of the transition, to propose a simple solution and generally make everything easy for everyone, I've given up and basically said that I'm officially off the project when I go on holiday and after that everyone else has just got to deal with it, and that I'll expect to move onto something else when I get back. Not entirely how I'd hoped this would turn out but there you go. Everyone save the PM in question has been massively understanding and supportive, incidentally.

The principal thing I'm finding tricky about this is that there's a wider context to this that work don't and can't know about. What I need on my CV prior to moving to New Zealand is as broad a consultancy experience as possible, featuring as many brands as I can cram in in the short time I've got.

So it should be quite a ride over the coming weeks - I'll keep you all posted... interesting things afoot! Incidentally, the diet's going reasonably well, although on Friday night we did cave in a bit and had a kebab and OH MY GOD was it ever good.

No comments: