Wednesday 16 May 2007

Tentative baby steps

Well, well. Look at me. I'm blogging! Something I thought I'd never do, if I'm honest.

I always thought you'd only run a blog if you were so helplessly self-obsessed that you honestly thought the world needed to know about your dinner choices, your TV watching habits or suchlike. A bit unfair of me, perhaps. Recently though, I've seen it (mostly through following a good friend of mine, Bengobaz, who's about the least self-obsessed and egotistical person you could hope to meet and a damn fine writer to boot) more as a way of keeping in touch with people, and more importantly as a way of documenting your experiences. For yourself and those around you.

I recently dug out a battered old notebook I used to write in back when I was the archetypal tortured teen. Apart from being cringeworthy to an appalling degree, it was a real eye-opener into the sort of person I was back then. I'd more or less forgotten how seriously I used to take myself and how horribly terrifying everything seemed. I suppose that, in a way, looking backwards like that gives you a sense of perspective on your life and experiences in general. These days everything's still horribly terrifying, but at least I find now I can giggle at it all most of the time.

Blimey. What a way to start a blog.

The background to this is the process of transition. I'm just about to start a new job, going agency-side instead of client-side for the first time. For the first time in my life I might have to buy a round when out with work. See what I mean: terrifying. Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to document. But I'm sure you're more qualified to be the judge of that than I...

No comments: