Monday 20 April 2009

Poor willpower and over-attentiveness

I've been getting a bit concerned the past few days about the health of my starter. It's turned itself back over, with the liquid now sitting on the top, and the bag of grapes which was quite inflated is starting to sag a bit. It doesn't look at all as lively as it did, either. It smells pretty unusual, but it's not a mouldy or overly unpleasant smell, sort of cheesy and yeasty with a bit of sourness on it, so I think we could still be on the right track.

So I've given in to temptation and given it a stir. I've also turned the bag over in the liquid as it was starting to dry out on the top. Finally, in response to a number of internet sources, I've unclipped the lid, so that the seal isn't airtight, which should let the thing breathe a little whilst ensuring it's not entirely sterile. Letting natural yeasts and things in from the air is apparently to be encouraged. It may start to make the kitchen smell funny though, in which case it's back on with the clips.

I'm also starting to doubt our recipe a little, which says to leave the starter to build for two weeks prior to the first feed. Some online recipes have you feeding it in five days or even less, and normally say it's ready for one once it starts to get active, which it certainly was a few days ago. I hope I'm not starving it. I reckon that if it's not done anything by tomorrow afternoon I'll feed it, as that'll make five days. Perhaps I have peculiarly lively (and hungry) yeasts going on in there, who knows.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

We're also making (well, I am observing Ali doing it) a starter at the moment, though are only on day 2. We're using the recipe in The Handmade Loaf by Dan Lepard, but are not using grapes - raisins instead. Will be following your progress with interest!