Friday 8 August 2008

Singin' In The Rain @ Somerset House

Quite how good this was can't be expressed in bloggage - watching Singin' In The Rain in the open air at Somerset House. Perfect summer evening, lying on a picnic blanket with the Kiwi, watching one of the most heartwarming films around. It's right up there with It's A Wonderful Life, in my opinion.

SITR This, as you might be able to make out, was the scene - you can make out the south block of Somerset House in the background, onto which the film was projected.

One of the things that made the evening was the fact that his widow and daughter attended. It got me wondering what goes through a widow's mind to see her husband on the big screen, looking his absolute best, and with hundreds of adoring fans still hanging on every tap, jump and twirl. Fascinating stuff.

I know it's a cliche, but they really don't make 'em like that any more.

2 comments:

Bob Churchill said...

Hiya. I really hope you don't mind but I just started a new blog and I chose to wrote about Singin' at Somerset House because I also had an amazing night. I found your blog when I googled for the event, so I quoted a sentence from you (which I think is fair game!) but I also recycled a crop from your photograph. I don't expect it's a problem and I did link you, but I'll take the pic down if you object!
Thanks - Bob.
PS my piece is here:
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/blogs/3688822.Bob__At_Somerset_House/

thiswasme said...

Hi Bob - no problem at all, feel free! Very nicely written piece, incidentally.