Tuesday 11 September 2007

The Microblog

Two quick things that aren't holiday-related but are relevant right this minute:
1. Instead of starting yesterday, the next phase of the Irish project isn't due to start until next week at the earliest. This means I'm at a bit of a loose end this week and am pimping myself around the business trying to bill at least three days this week to anyone who'll take me. This explains why I'm blogging during working hours as I've literally nothing else to do.

2. I've moved the Twitter feed from the bottom of the page to the top and changed its title to The Microblog. Originally I'd called it something pithy about Web 2.0, as I've always been deeply sceptical about how useful Twitter actually is to people with, y'know, lives. It hit me whilst I was on hols thinking about this sort of thing (groans inwardly) that it can actually be quite handy in this sense.

Basically, Twitter is a way of posting very short, text message-sized (140 characters, I think) on the internet, either using the Twitter website itself, by text message or using a widgety sort of thing that plugs into your Google toolbar for example. You can 'sign up' to someone's Twitter feed and receive updates when there's a new post, or you can pull the feed onto another website, like I've done here. What I'll be doing is using this like a mini version of this blog, so even if I don't post anything for a week or so, I can still blather on at you from the sidebar, albeit in 140 character bursts. It's a sort of experiment; we'll see how it goes.

If anyone has any thoughts on this bit of stuff that aren't calling me a ponce for using words like Web 2.0 and microblogging, I'd be interested to hear them...

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I like the microblog idea. But isn't it a little bit like Facebook's insidious 'status updates' albeit without the required 'is' sitting there annoyingly? As for being web 2.0, I haven't heard anyone use that expression for some time now, but that may be because I'm just not webby enough any more. Hmm.

thiswasme said...

It is a bit like Facebook's status updates, the difference being that you can still see historical ones, and that non-Facebookers can see it on other websites; it's tricky to get stuff that's on Facebook out of Facebook.

I'm practically swimming in Web 2.0 over here...